Saturday, August 05, 2006

Yay, The Nellies Are Home!

This morning in preparation for the dear Nellie's return, I decided to clean the bathrooms. Now I know this isn't rocket science but I always dread it as such and wish I had one of these. I can't stop thinking of all the deoxiribonucleaic acid specimens and bacterial growths in the faint evidence of human waste lying under the toilet seat and I can feel it crawling somewhere in my subconscious and want to throw up my hands in mock horror and cry out "Biohazard, coming through." But when I complete the task, swipe-swipe-swish-swish with something that has OXYPOWER prominently slashed across the front of the bottle, I think, now why didn't I do that a long time ago so I could enjoy this cleanliness without the Nellies' new hairdroppings & hair product residue & clumps of toothpaste. This ordeal is nothing compared to the Boy's bathroom, but I will spare you the details. John had the pleasure of unclogging one of the drains, or as he said, it has been "De-nellied."

So we left after lunch to meet Mom & Dad at a place somewhere between GR and Celeryville to pick up the girls, aka Nellies. Mom thought Cabela's( or Cabelloce as she insists on calling it) was a good place to meet since it is just north of the Michigan border crossing. I was a little bit perplexed since she once called it something like that red-neck place. She must have had one of those, it's-so-grotesqe-yet-I-cannot-look-away moments when she decided we should meet there, so I hear her enthusiastically calling to Dad, "We're going to meet at Cabelloce!" It turned out to be really good though because we found one of those inflatable vests that blow up when you hit the water in case you should have a head injury while boating.

june 040

This is what the Nellie transfer looked like!

So we met them and I remembered to bring the present for Mom's birthday which occurred last May. I got her the book No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin because it's almost from her time and because she saw it at our house and liked it. I felt I needed to counteract the gravity of the book by putting it in a Victoria's Secret Bag which showed up in our closet where the gift bags are kept. Now, the experiences I have had in Victoria's Secret I can probably count on one hand, but I will tell you about my last and please skip the rest of this paragraph if you suffer from an over-sensitivity to "Too Much Information." I got this card in the mail for a free pair of panties, so I stuck it in my purse and thought, whatever. So one day, I was walking through the mall by Victoria's, and I recalled the card in my purse, so I walked in. They let me choose my own free pair of panties! The sales girl was kind enough to show me the different styles which consisted of bikini, string bikini, thong, and something else which must have been thread but I don't remember because I had already decided in my head to go for the biggest bikini. (What is unfathomable to me is that their biggest bikini is smaller than the typical ones I have worn all my life.) Then the kind sales lady asked me if I would also like $10 off on pink flannel pj pants since the purpose of the free pair of panties thing is to get you to buy more, but my eyes glazed over with the "we-already-spend-approximately-101% of our disposable income on school tuition" look. So whatever. It was fun.

But back to the Nelly reunion.

june 048
Mom, Maria, Bridget in front of the fishing poles

We looked around Cabela's, mainly at the inflatable vests and oars. Mom also got a chocolate bar for her stash. We arrived home by 7 pm and the girls did a little try-on party of some new clothes grandma got for them! So it was a fun day. Oh yeah, and we almost got attacked by some bears.

june 044

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have gotten your sense of humor from your mother! Keep cleaning those toilets! You could wear sunglasses and then you wouldn't be able to see the germs?
We loved having the "Wolverines" for the week and it went all too fast! Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Jewels said...

Good idea. We might see you again this summer if we come down to go fishing since you got that new vest...

pearlie said...

Oh! I want those masks and suits too!!!

I felt I needed to counteract the gravity of the book by putting it in a Victoria's Secret Bag ... but I will tell you about my last and please skip the rest of this paragraph if you suffer from an over-sensitivity to "Too Much Information."

Oh Julia, you crack me up!!

Jewels said...

Hi Maeghan!

Glad you can relate to this! haha

Julia