Friday, August 25, 2006

Relative Beauty

Last weekend when we were coming home, we drove by this beautiful field and I asked John to stop so I could take a picture. I always love to see those big spools of shredded wheat sitting out in the field that a farmer has devotedly rolled up. Combined with the green field, blue sky and puffy clouds, the scene could have come from a Jack & the Beanstalk or Little Red Hen picture book.

june 001

John pulled over so I could take the picture but not without adding a snide remark about this being a case of "Ohio relative beauty." This does not really refer to my relatives in Ohio, per se. He grew up in California and travelled all over the west as a child where the beauty is BIG and what he means is that I can get carried away by such lesser beauty, if there is such a thing. He said there were people standing out on the porch with a what the heck look when I was taking the photo. Oh well.

Recently, I was telling my co-workers about how it is not out of the realm of possibility that we would move out west someday because we like it, and they were so wondering why I would leave the beauty of Michigan. Maybe this is just a case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. Don't worry Mom, we aren't moving. I'm just saying, I would be open to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that funny. I was driving through the countryside today and I thought, "How beautiful!" I love the Ohio farm lands. Isn't it great to be content where you're planted?

Grim Reality Girl said...

What a beautiful photo! I admire you for pulling over and taking the picture. Sometimes it is a huge blessing to stop and enjoy the beauty of a simple moment. You caught a great moment!!

Michigan is the best!

Bob said...

I think of it as a "gentle beauty", not so flamboyant and "in-your face". (Sorry, Westerners.) You definitely have an eye for it, Julia.

pearlie said...

LOL. Good on you to actually stop for a photo. My husband would have pooh-poohed me! But it is a great photo - you have been on an excellent photo-taking splurge lately, eh? Good on you. When I saw that picture, only one thought - wish I were there :/