Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Costly Romp in the Clover

Yesterday, Edward's eyes were looking puffy and he had a bit of a rash on his legs. It looked somewhat like poison ivy so I gave him some Benadryl and he used Ivy Dry. He seemed a bit better last evening and he went out and ran 8 miles.

Then this morning, he called me at work and told me he could hardly open his eyes. Now he never complains about anything - he runs 10 miles in 10 below temperature, runs up 200 foot dunes and runs 10 K in 95% humidity and NEVER misses school. So I knew it must be bad. I asked him if he could breathe. I called my mother-in-law. I left work and went right home to see it and what I discovered was confluent red edematous papules with edema and scattered crusts. In laymen's terms, he looked like an oval-shaped bowl of reddish oatmeal with 2 black eyelash slits for eyes and hair coming out of the top! His neck, chest, stomach & legs were covered, too. So we went to the doctor, she looked him over sympathetically, prescribed a 2 week dosage of prednisone, and checked his eyesight which was still better than 20/20 though a bit foggy.

Who has time to remember "leaves of 3, leave them be" when one is looking for one's golf ball in the weeds?

4 comments:

Bob said...

Oh, ouch! Poor guy! I'll be praying for some quick relief.

Anonymous said...

Where's a picture? Or wouldn't he let you take one...

Jewels said...

Actually, he would, he was game, but by the time I had time after work to do it, the swelling had gone down so you would not have gotten the full effect.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a little prednisone to cure what ails you. It is the upside of poison ivy!! :)

Hope Edward is rapidly regaining his health and will be "in the clover" again very soon.

Aunt Becky