Sunday, August 20, 2006

Thank You for Loving Us

june 010

Yes, John, Bridget & I made it home in one whole piece - actually better than before! You can put me down as a wilderness survivor now. We camped for about 24 hours in the Manistee National Forest north of Ludington, Michigan with about 28 people from our church in a rustic camp (ie. no plumbing or electricity). I have found if you are conservative in your drinking habits, you can get by with only having to use the pit pots twice in a 24 hour period.

We enjoyed the beauty, peace, and quiet of God's earth and great fellowship while we were there.

june 011
Lake Michigan is spectacular!

june 012
june 014
june 018
june 017
We had a great time together.

june 020
Bridget's little head is in the above picture in the choppy waves. (There were 2 adults out there with her who must have been under water at the time.)

june 031
The sunset. As romantic as watching the sunset sounds, you end up with about 12-15 bright sunspots in your eyes.

june 037
The Campfire. This gives you the earthy smell.

june 045
The music.


We sang praise songs around the campfire with 2 guitars, a mandolin, the djembe (jimbay). The drum beat had a mesmerizing effect, and I was sitting next to Diana, the one who sings the harmonies with the band. I don't think I ever actually sang a straight tune, but it was fun. Nobody took me up on the idea to come up with a new tune for Kum-bay-yah, but we didn't have to sing the old one, either. When Justin prayed, I remember he said, "Thank you for loving us," and I thought yes, thank you, thank you, I can't believe I get to be here.

5 comments:

Gracie said...

you're so cool. i haven't read ur whole blog, (i realize there's more to life than reading blogs!!!) but i know i'm gonna love it. and i'm so glad to get to know you and ur family. u're a gift!!

Anonymous said...

Julia,
This looks like heaven to me. I love the fresh scent of sleeping in a tent and hearing the drip of the dew on the tent, the smoke from the fire that makes your eyes water, and the wonder of fellowship with other believers. Thanks for the great pictures. It's almost as good as being there. I am thankful you survived and are singing God's praises.

Aunt Becky

Jewels said...

Gracie, I'm so excited that you are a blogger now and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Aunt Becky, Yes, it was a wonderful time! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.

pearlie said...

Just one word Julia: Wow!

Jewels said...

Maeghan,

That's a good word for it!