Sunday, August 06, 2006

Grace

northernflicker

We saw this beautiful bird out on our deck this afternoon and John found out it was the Northern Flicker. He had never seen one before (which also means I probably haven't since without him, my bird repertoire was a cardinal, a robin, a blue jay, oh, and a duck) so we watched it for awhile and then found it in the bird book. It was all quite exciting, and this quote which I wanted to put in here today goes with that quite well. Keep your eyes open!

There is no event so commonplace but that God is present within it, always hidden, always leaving you room to recognize him or not to recognize him, but all the more fascinating because of that, all the more compelling and haunting.

Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is.

In the boredom and the pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.

Frederick Buechner

3 comments:

Bob said...

There's no other word for grace, but "amazing"! God is so good! Nice bird photo, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's for the bird and the quote. Deep thoughts. . .

I saw a kingfisher on my way to church today. It has become more common in our area around the Mad River (a world-class trout stream) that is just down the road from my home.

Aunt Becky

Jewels said...

Wow, I never knew you had a trout stream down there. We just had some for supper Friday - I bought it from Meijer though.