Sunday, February 10, 2008

Memories of a Favorite Professor



Yesterday, John & I went to Calvin College for a luncheon to see Don Wilson receive the Faith and Learning Award. This award is presented to a former Calvin professor for excellence in teaching, spiritual impact, concern for students and lasting influence. I can think of no one more deserving of this award. Don was an anthropology professor and my freshman year at Calvin, he became my advisor even though I was a math major. I visited him often in his office where a 10 foot snake skin hung from the ceiling and the African masks, drums and other artifacts decorated the shelves and walls. He always had the best stories and I could talk to him forever. Because of him, I acquired a love for learning about other cultures. He eventually performed our wedding, so now John & I both have a lasting tie to him.

Today, he sends out over 6000 postcards a year, so every year on each of our family member's birthdays, we hear from him. We still see him from time to time, and he always has a story to tell. Read this article about him which shows what a unique person he is.

No comments: