Monday, February 18, 2008

Dancing


I was hoping to post a movie of this, but will have to settle for a still life and your imagination.

This was perhaps the most memorable thing we did at the retreat this past weekend: we divided into 4 groups who were each assigned a verse of the song "In Christ Alone" by the Newsboys. We had to make up a dance routine to our verse. We, the people of group 3, ranged in age from 3 to 45 and we were given verse one.

In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

Our group set out with the enthusiasm of High School Musical using pieces of cloth, roll-offs, lowering and raising up, and joining arms in a cross-formation to empasize different ideas in the song. The memories of our teamwork, the sights, and actions will add to the impact of this song whenever I sing it, though I will admit I am not ready for a career in liturgical dance.

6 comments:

Gracie said...

Sorry about the movie thing. I had to resave for the Carlen's, too, as I didn't save the correct file format the first time around. But perhaps they'll post it on facebook soon? Stay tuned!

Jewels said...

Yay ok, Gracie!

Roadcrosser said...

Hi that post is nice... I did mention that tommorow will be my birthday

Annette Gysen said...

Great song, but it didn't originate with the Newsboys. It was written by Keith Getty, an Irish songwriter. His wife sings with him, and she has a beautiful Celtic voice. I think if you google the song title, you can probably find it on line.

Jewels said...

Happy Birthday Calvin!!!


Oh yeah Annette - I remember that now that you say it... I just heard someone else say the Newsboys. Thanks for the correction.

Anonymous said...

Julia, I saw the videos on facebook and thought they were wonderful. The retreat sounds like it was great. I'm missing all the fun. Well, not all-it's pretty nice here too.Skip