Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Toy I Got for My B-day

When John was asking for birthday present ideas, I suggested he go on an e-bay expedition to find an old twin lens reflex camera. He scored the one below which I realized as soon as I opened it that it is the exact same camera that was in my grandma's toy box back in the 60's - a Kodak Duaflex III. This model was made from 1954-1957 which means I got a present that is older than me.

ttv 001

My mission for this camera is not to shoot film with it though - although you can respool 120 film onto the 620 spools that it uses. I want to try through the viewfinder (TTV) photography where you shoot your digital throught the viewfinder of the old camera, by means of a contraption you make. Last night I tried a couple even though it was really too dark. Interesting.

aaac 008

Today, when I got home from work, I took this little peek out our front door with my contraption. I was in a rush to pick up Maria from school, so I didn't fuss too much.

ttv 007-2

I think the camera itself is so darling that it's okay if I don't take a billion pix with it.


8 comments:

ELK said...

wow I have never really understood how ttv works and now I know ~what a find and the fact that it is like your grandmas gives it "extra special meaning" ...

spread your wings said...

ohhh nice. what a thoughtful birthday gift. great shots.

pearlie said...

Cooool ...

Anonymous said...

What a great gift! I hope you have tons of enjoyment with it.

Gracie said...

You are loved. Sweet. I'm glad we get to share in your bday gift. :)

donna said...

I have just discovered Ttv myself. It certainly is fun and gives my pics a whole new look. I found your blog through Kyla's blog the Kreative Life. I'm sure I'll be back. Have a great day!

Brown Eyed Girl said...

I can see the old school look in the two photo's. I like that. There like comfort food without the calories. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Julia, You mother gave me my first "serious" camera (before that I had a brownie) - it was a used Duaflex II - like the one you have but no pop up sunshade on the viewfinder. It had a HUGE flash attachment that screwed on hat took big bulbs. I remember buying 620 film for it. I had it for a while - I still have some photos from it. We just got a little Canon Sureshot with time lapse feature - that is fun to play with.

AL