Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Light Your World

laborday 002

This week we are finally getting to that seasonal drop in temperatures that should accompany fall. Today, it is in the 50's, dark and drizzling, the kind of day you welcome after a hot, muggy summer, and so, I thought I should light some candles in the house. Um, I guess I only have two. But that candle above is one of them at 3 pm in the afternoon on this dark day. It has been awhile since we had a fire - the camping trip to be exact - and now, I think of how Pastor Henry reminded us Sunday how we are the light of the world. I loved how he reminded us that light is more powerful than the darkness. I was thinking how people accuse the light-bearers of a silly, false hope, but the light exposes the distrust and hopelessness of the accusers, so in the end, yes, it is way more powerful. Darkness doesn't stand a chance when the light is turned on. In the words of Chris Rice,
Carry your candle, run to the darkness
Seek out the lonely, the tired and worn
Hold out your candle for all to see it
Take your candle, and go light your world

5 comments:

Gracie said...

okay, i realize your post is more signficant than my comment will reveal, but, here goes anyway. U really only have two candles?

pearlie said...

Gracie,
LOLOL
That's what we call blogging!

pearlie said...

Julia,
Love the verse you put there. I will copy and paste it into my desktop (which needs a lot of cleaning).

We are called to be light of the world - yes, it is indeed a good reminder. Do you realise that when you are in total darkness and then see a light, you will be attracted to it without fail. That will be out job in the darkness of the world. To shine for Jesus in the darkness.

Thanks for your thoughts!

God bless,
Maeghan

Jewels said...

Gracie, Only 2 that are worthy of burning - good thing God doesn't think of us that way.
Maeghan - Do you know that Chris Rice song? It's awesome!

Bob said...

This makes me think of a recent thinkexist quote that was on your blog: "What is to give light, must endure the burning." (Eleanor Roosevelt) Some word pictures are just so powerful!