Friday, September 22, 2006

Brand New Sandy Tan Pants

When Edward was younger, 4 years ago to be precise, I used to drive him over to Western Michigan University once a week for a math class for 7th graders wherein they would take all of Algebra I & II in a year. It was good because he learned the discipline of doing math that was more of a challenge. I would get him a McDonald's lunch that he could eat on the way over, and we made up a sort of game-like tradition in which we would think of phrases or sentences with as many short "a" sounds as possible and we would have to say them with a nasal tone. One of our favorites, and probably the original statement of the game, was "Did you pack a snack in my back pack for math class?" The above title brought that little memory back.

So today, I met an old friend over at Panerra Bread in the mall for lunch. We had soup as we did frequently when we worked at the actuarial firm. She is still there, so I can get caught up on news in the pension world. That takes about a minute, then we can get on to more fascinating topics, like how she really likes those pants that only go just above the butt crack. After lunch, I recommenced my quest for the perfect pair of tan pants, and the great shopping ray of sunshine must have been shining down on me because I found a pair that fit me like the "Ultimate Container" that my sister Marianna holds in such high regard. And, I mean AND, they were 80% off. I can't wait to tell Edward about my brand new sandy tan pants.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julia - you are extremely intelligent yet you find humor in the simplest things. I could just hear you and Edward in your nasal tones. Ridiculous! Anyway, the "ultimate container" does not pertain to clothing- you'll have to come up with your own term for that. I'm still waiting for the picture of leftovers in the ultimate container. Do me proud, girl.

Jewels said...

Very funny Mar. When I was searching for the perfect simile for the fit of the tan pants, "ultimate container" hit me like a brick. But I will continue to keep my eyes open for the leftover one.

jeb said...

you have leftovers with three kids! make them eat. put the whips to their bums. speaking of which, i wanted to visit and comment on your blog since you so graciously visited mine, but i don't know if i can keep exposing myself to this kind of material. i mean really, did you have to paint word pictures of butt cracks! i can't get the image out of my head.

Bob said...

Congrats on the sandy tan pants! I love it when the bright shopping ray of sunshine is shining!

Jewels said...

Yes it is a happy thing Bob!

Jeb - I'll try to clean it up. lol