Saturday, September 25, 2010

ArtPrize 2010: Floaty Things

Last evening, John & I had a little time to walk around downtown to see some of the ArtPrize exhibits. One of my favorites - and I could have spent much more time photographing it - was the Lure/Forest exhibit by Beili Liu.

IMG_2750-1 IMG_2751-2
IMG_2752-1 IMG_2749-1

This piece is made of thousands of hand-spiraled coils of red thread hung from the ceiling and is based on the ancient Chinese legend of the red thread. You can read more about it here.

Another piece I photographed last evening was "There is Always a Glass Full of Sky to Soar" by Micaela Vivero which is made of 100 forms made out of copper wire that resemble birds, dolphins and airplanes.

IMG_2763 IMG_2762
IMG_2761 IMG_2760

It looks like I must have been drawn to floating art last night! Both of these pieces were at the UICA venues - one on Sheldon and one on Fulton.

1 comment:

Deirdre Honner said...

Love them. Hope to see them tomorrow ....