Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Middle Schoolers

Last week, I received a call from Bridget's school and they asked if I could fill in as a substitute teacher Friday afternoon for some 8th grade classes. A few years ago, I did it frequently, but since I started working in the mornings, I haven't.

My memories of subbing are these: "Yay, we have Mrs. S today!!!" I used to love it, but Friday afternoon was a different story. They wouldn't shut up. I'm shorter than they are. I was out of the swing of things. I finally got some attention by saying, "My name is Mrs. S., and I do give out yellow cards." This didn't last long when they realized I could never write all their names down. I hate being a grouch, but I suppose somebody has to do it sometimes.

On the bright side, My middle schooler did some posing for me.
mar8 003

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world of having to be a grouch all day long to keep the peace at school. I told my students today, and I quote, "You guys are killing me!" They just get big smiles on their faces and say, "Sorry Mrs. Hines" , and give me hugs. Oh well, so much for being a grouch!

Jewels said...

Mar,
Yes, on the way out, some of them apologized for their class' behavior, like they really couldn't help it! Arrggggg!

Jewels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Julia - the portrait of Bridget is beautiful. You should consider a career in portraits.

Ruth

Jewels said...

Hi Ruth,

Thanks. Someday, I just might :)

Annette Gysen said...

I'm trying to imagine you being a threatening, scary sub, Julia--especially for middle schoolers. As active an imagination as I have, I'm having a hard time...

Jewels said...

Annette- It was ugly.