Thursday, March 15, 2007

Digital Natives

dignat2 dignat1
Maria, 1993, playing the Froggy game

My friend Annette went to a conference last week in NYC where they talked about "digital natives." These are people who are age 25 or younger, and if you have any of these in your home, you know who they are talking about.

Here are a few stupid little things I have thought of lately that highlight the difference between the digital natives and the rest of us:

-When Maria was about 5 and saw her first deck of cards, she realized you could play solitaire outside of the computer.
-When I see old episodes of Seinfeld, I think of how much easier their lives would have been with cell phones.
-Oh, and perhaps strangest of all, my kids love the story of how I saved up my money(for a long time) when I was in high school to buy a calculator that could do trig functions.

5 comments:

Annette Gysen said...

And what's a little scary to me is that even though I'm not a digital native, I start to break out in a cold sweat and feel a little anxious when I find out that I don't have Internet access for a couple of days. And the worst possible punishment at our house (with the only thing worse being the flames of hell)is losing computer privileges!

pearlie said...

And we are the generation who never felt what it was like without a photostating machine!

Jewels said...

Pearlie- I don't even know what that is - but I can look it up on the internet!

Annette- When our internet is down, I have to try very hard to just be cool about it. It's hard though.

pearlie said...

I think it'll be the photocopier maching for you?

pearlie said...

machine! machine!
:) sorry