Thursday, March 22, 2007

Chant

Several weeks ago, a group of us from church got together to plan a meditation area to put in our church on Good Friday. We talked about a theme and different things do/read/look at. We wanted to make it multi-sensory, so I thought, how about something like gregorian chant playing softly in the background? I hadn't listened to it much since college, so I did some research, and read about Chant I by the the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo De Silos. These monks are actually praying when they record, so it sounds very true. Another thing I love about it is that it is so calming like a bright blue sky, and you can listen to it without feeling distracted. I have been playing it before the supper hour when the kids are doing their homework, and I think they like it.

om 030

5 comments:

pearlie said...

It is my favourite! I listen to it as often as I can, especially when I need a calming effect.

Jewels said...

Pearlie- Do you know of a good recording for Good Friday? I have Chants 1, 2 & 3 by this group and they all seem good for our purpose but I'm wondering if there's anything else I s/b looking at.

pearlie said...

I only have 2 CDs and I rarely have the time to check what I am listening to!!

However, I have also been downloading them from these sites:

Gregorian Chant - selected resources on plainchant
Gregorian Chant
DoveSong.com

Jewels said...

Thanks Pearlie,

I actually found some here for Good Friday but they were a bit echo-y. They sang faster, too!

Jewels said...

Thanks Pearlie,

I actually found some here for Good Friday but they were a bit echo-y. They sang faster, too!