Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Keeping Warm

winter 038
Stampot Mouse: I realize this photo would in no way qualify me to be a food photographer.

Today, after work, I was sitting there getting my boots on and almost dreading my daily walk. It was 1 degree on my way to work this morning and now it is just over 10 degrees. My head has been feeling unusual during the past week - sort of a frontal-lobe-pressure-sharpish-pain and I've been exceptionally tired. I told Sharon at work that I might be dying of a brain tumor and she said in a monotone, no you can't do that right now, we need you here. We kind of have little laughs like that all the time at work. Then she told me my headache was probably from the changes in atmospheric pressure, so now I am going with that theory.

So back to my walk. I started wondering what might cure this malaise. What is it that might warm the inner recesses of my physical body? And suddenly, I thought of Stampot Mouse. This is a winter time dish that is made in the Netherlands. My dad ate it growing up, and my mom then made it for us. Edward actually requests it sometimes, but the girls - not so much. It's so easy to make: You boil about 6 large potatoes with a can of kale and sausage for about 45 minutes. Then you mash the potatoes with the kale and butter and put the sausage on top. At this point, you can put it in a warm oven till supper thus giving you leeway as to when you actually eat supper. I can almost taste it now.

winter 037

9 comments:

Annette Gysen said...

Seriously? You eat that? It must be one of the dishes that starving Dutch people ate during WWII. If you really want to be happy, eat Advocat. It's about 75 percent gin, and it will make you really lighthearted and giddy. (One of my favorite Dutch friends made it for me for New Year's Eve.)

Jewels said...

This is much better for you Annette, It is really good.

Anonymous said...

This is truly comfort food!

Jewels said...

You said it, Elizabeth!!!

Unknown said...

mmmmm....stampot

we make it with fresh kale - even better!

Uncle Al

Jewels said...

Way to go, Uncle Al! I should try that sometime.

Unknown said...

I went shopping today and looked for canned kale - Elizabeth said is is just as good as fresh. It is not to be found at my store in New Hampshire. Must be a midwestern thing.

Uncle Al

Jewels said...

Uncle Al,

Funny, the can says "Made in Keane". But maybe we'll bring some to the reunion anyway.

Jewels said...

Oh, I realize now it didn't say "Made in Keene".