Friday, December 22, 2006

Trying Hard to Remember

Yesterday was one of those days. At supper, we all recounted the things we had forgotten that day. Bridget forgot her lunch and her toga and clothespins for Greco Roman week. She borrowed a toga from a teacher and I brought her lunch. I went to Bridget's program at school and completely missed seeing her in the 2 events she was in even though I was sitting in the stands trying to watch her. I forgot my camera because when I was getting ready to leave for work, I couldn't find my keys. The kids all thought this was pretty funny.

Maria & I went to the store to get toilet paper, and as we were checking out, we remembered that we forgot to get it. On the way out to the car, we realized that we also forgot her orthodontist appointment which was to start a half hour ago. When I called the office, they graciously allowed me to blame it on this time of the year. Edward used somebody's phone and called at 5 pm because he locked himself and his phone and his car keys in church downtown where he was cleaning. This involved an hour long ordeal of getting him during rush hour and picking up John on the way because he had the spare key for Ed's car.

John seems to be the only one who had his head together yesterday, but at supper, he graciously recounted a funny story of how he locked himself out of his car at a gas station and the next week, he did the same exact thing. When he went in for help, they graciously gave him the same straightened clothes hanger he had used the week before to unlock his car.

So all this is to say is we are trying hard to remember the true meaning of Christmas and how grace and forgiveness get us through each day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My one hour root canal appt turned into two plus hours....

I am home now recovering.

It was fun to read your cute story.
Made me smile,...(with the half of my face that wasn't still numb!)

Jewels said...

It's hard to find grace sometimes in those root canals at the time, but eventually, your tooth pain will be gone. Yay.

pearlie said...

Haha ... unbelievable is the word reading your story. What were the odds? Thankfully you are not overly stressed about it and can still see the humour of life.

Jewels said...

Hi Maeghan,

It was quite unbelievable and I was wondering to myself if I was losing my mind :) Thankfully, we all got a good laugh over it. I think Karl Barth said that laughter is the closest thing to grace and today, that was true.

Bob said...

This is so funny, Julia! How fun that your family had a good laugh in the midst of all the holiday busyness!

Jewels said...

Thanks, Bob!