Sunday, October 01, 2006

Drinking Snow

This morning, Pastor Amy talked about Amos 8:11 of the famine God was sending through the land of Israel - not of food or water, but a famine of hearing the words of God.

Today, we are so surrounded by words - we have to make an effort to listen to God's words, the ones that don't make us hungry or thirsty. This is what Amy said this morning that illustrated this point almost perfectly: If you are stuck out in the snow somewhere with no water which you need to survive, the snow won't help because you need more energy to turn the snow into water than the energy that water would give you. Think about it. Some words may make us feel better for awhile, but in the long run they'll do more damage, especially to who we think we are in relation to God.

She also told us about a professor of hers who plugged up the outlet by the TV with an outlet cover so that if he wanted to watch TV, he would have to go through the hassle of taking out the cover and plugging in the TV. This would make him at least stop and think, do I really want to watch TV or is there something else I should be doing? Whatever we need to bring on the silence & listen is good, right? Shalom, dear readers!

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105

3 comments:

Gracie said...

Great summary, Julia. Thanks for the reminder. (Do you think she meant we should take a break from blogs??)

Jewels said...

No, that's not what she meant :)

Only if it's getting in the way...

Bob said...

I didn't know that about snow. Great illustration.

Your thoughts reminded me of this verse from Jer. 15:16: "Your words were found and I ate them, and Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I have been called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts."

Good stuff.