Saturday, July 29, 2006

The World Keeps Spinning

God, Brilliant Lord, your name echoes around the world." Psalm 8:9

Reflect the light, originally uploaded by Sharon-雪人.
Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur

My friend Maeghan is a Christian who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which is exactly a 12 hour time difference to us in Michigan (EST). It's fun when she writes at the end of the day and I'm just starting the day, or if I write at night, she is already in the next day. The irony of this usually strikes me on Sundays when she has already gone to church and I am still in my PJ's. Kuala Lumpur is the home of the 2nd largest building in the world, shown above. I asked her once if she ever goes there, and sure enough, she does meet with clients there sometimes.

I never realized how advanced Malaysia was as a civilization until I met Meaghan which just illustrates what an ethnocentric American I am. Then I remembered the Petronas Towers and duh, tall towers must have people & businesses in them, otherwise why would they be there? This is yet another case of me being awakened to the size of the world. I was thinking of something like the nearby country of Sumatra where my friend Linda went on a mission trip after the tsunami. The pictures she showed me were of a devastated country, of course.

One of the interesting things I learned about Malaysia is they have these stinky fruits called Durians, pictured below.

durian
photo by Maeghan Ng

These fruits have such an obnoxious odor that they aren't even allowed on airplanes which is why you never see them in the US. I think they look like undersea creatures. Evidentally, they can have kind of a custard-like inside for which you have to acquire a taste. Last week, Maeghan & her family had them for her birthday, and I told her oh, if I was there, I would have made you a cake!

calvinmaeghan2

You can wish Maeghan a late happy birthday on her blog, here!

2 comments:

pearlie said...

Oh boy... I don't know what to say! I am featured in a blog!
Really great knowing you, Julia.
And thanks again Ed and Bridget for your nice wishes.

Jewels said...

You are famous now! lol