Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Life in the 21st Century

Back when I was a kid, I would dream of having a set of encyclopedias so I could read them all the time. It was almost what I wanted most of all - strange, I know. I'm sure some people can relate to this. If I ever wondered about anything, I would maybe be able to get to the public library in a couple of weeks to get a book about it, but by then, I would be wondering about something else.
When our kids were little, we managed to get one of those sets of encyclopedias at the grocery store that were about a dollar each and they would come out with a new letter every week so that it took you 26 weeks or a half of a year to collect them. Our kids loved them and even the neighbor kids would borrow them for school, even after the internet became so big.
Now I look at my kids, and whatever they are wondering about, they have only to google it. If we wonder out loud what the weather is, whoever is closest to a computer will give the answer. If we wonder why our cat always appears when I'm chopping onions, we can find out just like that. And today, the ultimate geek thing of a geek wife married to a computer geek happened. This is not a pretty picture:
may
I ran over a sprinkler head when I was mowing and I told John on the phone when he was at work. I told him I could go to the store to get a new one, but as it turns out, it's a bit more complicated than that. He needed to know exactly what kind it was, so he told me to go out and take a picture of it and e-mail it to him. So that's exactly what I did, and it took me about 2 minutes because I'm kind of a nerd. But then, I had to blog about it which made it take a little longer, and the good thing that happened in the meantime is, it started to pour down rain! Now it is not so imperitive that I get a sprinkler head TODAY, but I still will... after it stops raining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good update mom! That was very funny. I also like the fireworks update.
-Bridget

pearlie said...

Haha ... funny post. I enjoyed reading it. Geek wife married to a geek husband eh? Then we are a geek wife, a geek husband and a totally geek son!

We were a little more blessed I guess as we did get our set of Britanica Encyclopedia when my brother and I were kids. There were 2 sets in 1: the red "serious" one and the kiddy one. I only loved the kiddy one! LOL

Yeah ... our kids these days never knew a world without computers and faxes and scanners and photocopiers. We lived in a time when colour TV and the refridgerator were the most amazing inventions ;)

Jewels said...

Yes, that's so true. It sounds like KL is a pretty happening place... I never knew!