Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Anniversary of My Second Life

I received a call this morning from my friend Mark who had a terrible head injury 33 years ago today and lives with partial paralysis. He wishes me a "happy" anniversary on this date every year since I also had a significant head injury on the very same day. I love how he remembers to call me because I usually forget. I mean I think about how I'm going to call, but then things get away from me. So we talk about our anniversary and how he is doing in his life teaching disabled adults. I later think about how we met at Calvin College when I tutored him in Math and how we hit it off and what a blessing it is when we have friends who understand our losses. Like when my friend Cathy, who also experienced a head injury, said this week that our forgetfulness or spaceyness keeps us bonded. We have a tear in the fabric of our reality where something happened about which we know nothing and ok, maybe we were spacey before or maybe we're forgetful because we're in our 40's. Or maybe something happened in the time when we were absent that only You know about. Perhaps you don't know what I'm talking about, but I know that Cathy does.

The picture below with the happy smiling faces is of my mom & I taken a couple of months into the recovery process. When I think of the 3 months I was in the hospital, I never forget how mom was with me there every day. She's the best!!!


October 1975, Blodgett Hospital

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems as this happened a lifetime ago! We have been truly blessed with your recovery and you are an absolute joy to have as our daughter!

Jewels said...

Thanks Mom! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

When I got whacked in the head my mom flew in from Texas to take care of her very grown up 41 year old...so maybe my mom is the best! :-) And my dad is bigger than your dad...

Jewels said...

Oh Cathy Pong, Which world are you living in? hahaha Ping

Anonymous said...

Moms are truly amazing! Glad you made it through!

Annette Gysen said...

I'm so glad you recovered so that we could be friends and work together you-know-where. And so thankful for you that you have a family that stood by you through all of this. Do you have any suggestions about what I could blame my spaciness on?

Dine With Donna said...

Hi Jewels;
I remember your accident and how we kept in touch with your progress through your community. What a blessing that you had no after effects of that tragedy. I have often heard that you truly appreciate your mother more when you become a mother.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that picture brings back alot of memories. Could you imagine going through that as a mother. Mom always said that God gave her what she needed to make it through. We certainly have been blessed!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia...when you had your accident my mom (your Great-Auntie Belle)kept the news of it from me as I was about to give birth any day back then. My Jill was born August 25th and I was grateful for my mother's wisdom in telling me only after my daughter's birth. It would have greatly affected me had I known before. Your mom too, my beloved cousin, is indeed tops.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia...when you had your accident my mom (your Great-Auntie Belle)kept the news of it from me as I was about to give birth any day back then. My Jill was born August 25th and I was grateful for my mother's wisdom in telling me only after my daughter's birth. It would have greatly affected me had I known before. Your mom too, my beloved cousin, is indeed tops.

Jewels said...

Hi Jodi - I never knew that & I'm surprised to hear that Jill is almost 33. I'm 33 too, basically.

Bob said...

What a neat post, Jewels. I love it.

I have no memories of this, but have heard stories. What a blessing that God let you grow into who we all know now!

Jewels said...

Thanks Bob!