Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Monumental Cooking

As much as I wanted to keep the kitchen as a monument unto itself, I decided on Monday already that I needed to make chicken. When my kids were younger, they would all whine together, jokingly, "Why do we always have to have chicken?" I love that this one makes enough for 2 days in a row. When it was over, they all said, "That was good."

Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

2 (14 1/2-ounce) can green beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 medium onion diced and sauteed
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 cup mayonnaise
(6-ounce) box long-grain and wild rice, cooked according to package directions
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
Pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.


4 comments:

Annette Gysen said...

What? No picture of the finished masterpiece? We need to see it, Julia. Sounds good, though.

Jewels said...

Annette- I know, I thought of it when it was in the oven and I didn't think of it again until it was all gone.

Dine With Donna said...

Julia this casserole sounds delicious and a dsih I could use when the granddaughters come over to visit. Ironic I get a recipe from your blog!!!
Donna

Jewels said...

Donna- I think they'll love it! I forgot to say that I usually use a 1 lb. bag of frozen green beans instead of 2 cans but it would be good either way.