Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Driver

Maria blue tex
Maria in the snow, Feb, 2008

Maria needs to get 50 hours in driving since she has her learner's permit and she has about 20 to go. Since the weather has been so horrible, we haven't been too aggressive about getting them done. The plan yesterday was for her to drive the 4 hour trip to the wedding. Winter. Michigan. Need I say more? The snow keeps coming and coming and coming this winter. We saw many cars in the ditch on the way and furthermore, she got to experience having a car slide across the median into the cars in front of her forcing her to the side of the road to avoid an accident. Later, a snow plow in front of her going about 60mph left a wide trail of airborn snow causing severe white out conditions for her. She remained calm, but after 3 hours and stopping for lunch, she decided John could drive. When we got to Ohio, the roads were fine, but our usual 4 hour journey took us 6 today! We arrived in one piece to the wedding and all was well. Pix tomorrow!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE that picture! I can't believe you actually let her drive in that weather. Us Texans down here, well we'd be freakin' out no matter what age we were!!

Jewels said...

Hi Elaine- Thanks!
My husband had the real white knuckle seat in the passenger's side and was very involved in the constant coaching. I would look up every now and then and go whoa, whoa, whoa. I can say this - it's good experience for her!

x said...

i envy maria, julia. my parents don't let me drive... even if my driving teachers say i can drive well already. :( and you parents support her and encourage her to learn, even! your family must be niiiice. would you like to adopt me? hehehe!!!

Annette Gysen said...

We're having the same problem with Katie, but she hasn't made nearly the progress that Maria has. Plus--I'm too scared to let her drive in those kinds of conditions. Cute pic!

Jewels said...

Acey- We might have more space to drive around here or something. Someday you can learn...

Annette- Thanks!