Sunday, August 19, 2007

Light in the Dark

The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

This morning, John & I went to the prayer meeting for the Riverfest this afternoon. The theme this week is "Art in the Park", but as it is a dark, rainy day, we're going to have it in the Warehouse. We prayed this morning with Psalm 27 in mind.

A few years ago, I went to hear Diet Eman, author of the book Things We Couldn't Say
, tell her stories of working with the Dutch Resistance in WWII. I will never forget her and how her faith motivated her during this time. When I asked her to sign the book, she wrote in letters that reminded me of my own Dutch Oma, "To Julia, With Psalm 27, Diet Eman." And now Psalm 27 reminds me of the terrible times the Dutch had to go through in WWII, but how their faith in God sustained them.

I think we shouldn't be afraid of a little rain today.

2 comments:

Bob said...

One of my favorite psalms...interesting to hear what it means to others.

Hope "Arts in the Warehouse" turned out OK!

Jewels said...

Bob, It turned out really great! I love our church!!