Sunday, April 27, 2008

Excitement Overload

retreat1

This weekend was so outstanding that as I write this on Sunday evening, I'm filled with a little sadness that it's over - until I remember the words of Dr. Seuss and Edward's cross country coach - Don't cry because it's over, be glad that it happened. Maybe Friday night is catching up with me - I only got about 3 hours of sleep at the church women's retreat after a busy day of working, going to lunch with John, getting "lost" in Holland, talking and more talking. Many of these conversations still linger in my mind and I think of what a gift it is to be part of this church.

Saturday, I returned in time to celebrate Bridget's birthday by going to the wedding of an old friend and twin sister of my college roommate Linda - what a joyous occassion! It makes me laugh when I think back to how we screamed when we saw each other, my college roommate and I, because it doesn't happen nearly enough as she lives in New York. John, the girls & I had an awesome birthday supper at Olga's and came home for cake and presents. I then made 48 cupcakes for church right up until I crashed at about 10pm.

Sunday morning, my friend Cathy Withasee, of little red haired girl on the bus memory, gave me a package of little wax bottles with juice inside, Gracie gave me a handwritten note which is a wonderful gift the e-mail/cell phone days we live in and Pastor Henry talked about living in harmony.

My friends Linda and Joe came in the afternoon before heading back East so we could catch up - it had been a couple of years since we saw them and it was priceless to see them again. When they left, I stood in the driveway and waved until they were out of sight. Then Edward proceeded to beat me in 3 games of ping pong which is actually another exciting thing - I might feel bad if he couldn't beat his 45 year old mother...

joe linda sam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Julia, the Pajama Party was so much fun-although I think I got a little more sleep in the boat. But I would have stayed up to watch the movie. I think we'll have to lobby for this to be an annual event? We might outgrow that cottage...We do have a great church!

Jewels said...

:)