Sunday, June 24, 2007

Shenandoah Valley

obx 101obx 116
On the way home from the OBX, we stopped in Harper's Ferry which is located at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers in the states of West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland. This area is brimming with history which I won't get into here, but suffice it to say, our time there was worthwhile. As we walked around town in the early evening hours, I told John it felt like we were in a Stephen King movie. The golden light of the lowering sun and the folk music of a guitar player added to the scene. I used a restroom alone in a clean, but run down building, and someone started whistling...

We walked over the train bridge and the kids posed for a picture in their comfy traveling clothes.
obx 115
Edward, Maria & Bridget

I said, "Good job going over the bridge, Bridge." She loves that saying.
obx 117

We arrived home at about 7am this morning after a long journey of 1875 miles round trip. Leo seemed a little mad, but he got over it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia;
What a lovely summer tradition the Bouman family has and what great memories for everyone as they grow. I describe the Outer Banks as the bit of heaven God put on earth. It truly is beautiful.

I enjoyed the photos of the week. Coming from a town which grew out of the railroad (and the muck) Harpers Ferry is also important with the old or former B&O Railroad.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering where the Smildes have been, and now I know where they have been wandering! What a beautiful spot and and beautiful family as well. I'm missing you on the MCC blog! Skip

Jewels said...

Hi Donna,

You are very right about that! There are so many wonders in the world.

Skip,
We'll be there next Sunday for sure - how about you? I hope so!

pearlie said...

Hi Julia,
Glad you've had a marvellous time with the family. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jewels said...

Thanks for reading it Pearlie! It's nice to be back.