Thursday, February 17, 2011

Love Thursday: Flowers

I have to say that I love how Valentine's Day is strategically placed amongst the cold gray days of winter. I had a little bug that day, must have been a love bug according to my friend Pong, so John brought home a Subway sub which included onions and peppers and olives with daffodils and tulips on the side. It was the perfect bright spot to my day and and really my week because having something colorful to photograph is a very good thing.

flowers-1679.jpg

When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not.
Georgia O'Keeffe

flowers-1685.jpg

So I said to myself--I'll paint what I see--what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it--I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers. Georgia O’Keefe

flowers-1721.jpg

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time. Georgia O'Keeffe

flowers-1726.jpg

I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.
Georgia O'Keeffe

flowers-1713.jpg

Have a beautiful Love Thursday!

3 comments:

ELK said...

very color filled series..i have some too..just opening..I agree with the strategically placed thought

S. Etole said...

favorites ... both the quotes and the flowers

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colors Julia! I got some pink tulips and they are gorgeous as well. You're right - those colors really hit the spot this time of year! Mar