Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Love These Little Things

chives1

Yesterday, I was in my neighbor Faith's backyard which overflows with photographic opportunity. As we sat on the deck, these little Seuss-like plants caught my eye. It turns out, they are chives. I had no idea. She told me how easy they are to grow and I wondered how long they took, like if you planted them now.  "Do you mean could you have some for supper?" she asked.  Oy! Sometimes I wish I had more patience with gardening. . .  maybe someday.   For now, I can take pix.

5 comments:

spread your wings said...

oh i love these too. i bought some this year but i'm like you - somewhat impatient.

ELK said...

like your description ~seuss like...
fabulous shot!

Caplin Rous said...

Nice photo composition! And Suess-like as a description is very apt.

Unknown said...

Julia,
I have chives growing in my yard.. near the hostas. Yes, you can eat them! I cut some up and put them in my potato salad for our Memorial Day luncheon. My neighbor who is an avid gardner says the purple flowers are beautiful when dried.
Shari

Anonymous said...

I had no idea chives were so beautiful.